About Me

Words the world would uses to describe me are: Jesus Follower, Husband, Father, Friend, Doctor, Pastor, Teacher, and my personal favorite Crazy!
I believe that we live our lives according to our convictions, what does your life say about whats at your core?

Friday, June 15, 2012

Off the Radar - 5 yr Plan?


5 years and 4 months ago my life was a mess…I was 321+ pounds but that wasn’t all that was wrong! I wanted…no I needed a redo in life.  I was tired, sick, obese, & burned out.  Every morning felt like a nightmare.  Don’t get me wrong I was blessed with an unconditionally loving wife, beautiful healthy kids, a job, a church, and WONDERFUL friends…but I was done!

When God spoke to me about my lack of self-control & discipline it was a very painful reality.  When He whispered into my soul that I needed to change it cut to my soul!

The moment He spoke to me, EVERYTHING changed.  If you would have asked me in that moment 5 years ago what my goals were because of this encounter I would have said to lose some weight and get healthier.  To be able to finish a day without feeling like I was going to die.  To be able to wake up and praise the Lord instead of feeling like the night had never come.

Even in that moment I would never have dreamed that I was on my weigh to losing 131lbs, running 5 marathons, 6 half marathons, 2 Ironman 70.3'S, a runstreak of 1,274 days and earning the title Dr. Ben Emmons (ABD).  In fact NO OF THAT was on my radar!

This is probably because God’s radar, His plans are much better than our own!

What I am trying to do here is to encourage you to listen for God…when you do He enables you to accomplish far beyond anything you could hope for or dream of.  If you told me 5 years ago I would become a conference speaker to equip, and coach other pastors on how to live healthy holistic lives, I would have laughed at you.  Now it is whom God has called, equipped, and formed me to be.

Take time today to listen for God.  It may be a painful experience…it may cause you to be put in a place where you need to take a step of faith.  In fact I am sure it will do both.  I can’t tell you what God will say to you, But I do know He will not let you down!

Now when people ask about my 5 year plan I laugh, but only BECAUSE I PERSONALLY KNOW GOD CAN ACCOMPLISH SOOOO MUCH IN 5 YEARS!

No comments:

Post a Comment