About Me

Words the world would uses to describe me are: Jesus Follower, Husband, Father, Friend, Doctor, Pastor, Teacher, and my personal favorite Crazy!
I believe that we live our lives according to our convictions, what does your life say about whats at your core?

Friday, April 20, 2012

The Hardest Part of Leadership (For Me Anyways)!


God birthed within me a passion, a burning desire to see others succeed.  There is nothing I want more then to see others live out their dreams, reach their potential, and live abundantly!

Whether I am coaching, teaching, or pastoring I have a deep desire to see others succeed!

Typically success means changing something…whether it is big or small, tweaking something just enough can bring on success.

The problem is, change is difficult.  For many, change may even seem impossible.  Identifying the problems or obstacles needing change is easy…behavior modification is hard! 

The most difficult thing for me in leadership is when people say they want to succeed, identify the problem, start to make the change and then relapse!  The truth is success will not happen until the desire to succeed outweighs the desire for whatever change needs to take place.

Simply put
- If my goal is to achieve physical health, I can no longer ignore eating right and exercising.
- If my goal is family health, I can no longer ignore my family.
- If my goal is financial health, I can no longer buy things I cannot afford.

My opinion is that our time is the most valuable thing we spend!

Are you unsuccessful in an area you NEED to succeed in?   
Be honest with yourself…ask two simple questions…

What don’t you have time to do?
What do you have time to do?

For me these two simple questions moves my core values from self-perception to reality.  When I answer these questions honestly, I can no longer SAY what I believe my core values are, because what I am investing my time in shows what’s important, these ARE my core values!

For me I always have to evaluate this by comparing how I am investing my time:
Time for God vs. Time for self?
Time for family vs. Time for self?
Time to workout vs. Time for self

Success cost time…lots and lots of time!

For me success is healthy relationship with God, family, and taking care of my physical health.  Your success probably looks much different then mine, and that is ok…

To wrap this up…the hardest part of leadership for me anyways, is when my own desire (as a coach, teacher, pastor, father, or friend) to see people succeed outweighs their own desire.

2 comments:

  1. If others' desires to succeed exceeded yours they'd be leading you. This an inherent challenge in leadership. Choose to view these as opportunities rather than challenges. May God multiply your leadership opportunities, brother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose this is the inherent frustration of working with other leaders in the area of lifestyle changes! Thank you for your wise, timely words Bruce...they are encouraging and right on the mark.

      Delete