About Me

Words the world would uses to describe me are: Jesus Follower, Husband, Father, Friend, Doctor, Pastor, Teacher, and my personal favorite Crazy!
I believe that we live our lives according to our convictions, what does your life say about whats at your core?

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Routine Routinely Produces...(Back to school post)


When I was young I fought routine.  I mostly fought against the discipline routines required.  I didn't understand why routine was important or how I could benefit from them.  I only knew that old people woke me up the same time everyday and ordered me to go to school where I would experience the BORING routine of going to the same classes, following the same rules and even seemingly learning the same things DAY AFTER DAY - YEAR AFTER YEAR - OVER AND OVER AGAIN...Fast forward to today YEARS LATER and having run for 2,447 days in a row (many of those days on the T-DREADMILL) I may know a little something about ROUTINE!
Just to be clear Websters defines ROUTINE as:
a regular way of doing things in a particular order
: a boring state or situation in which things are always done the same way
: a series of things (such as movements or jokes) that are repeated as part of a performance


Today my children started school.  It's fair to say the house was filled with mixed emotions from all of us.  We love summer.  Staying up late, playing games, bbqing, etc. it is a great time!  BUT I have grown to love the fall even more.  Not only is it MARATHON SEASON, and the weather has cooled enough to run mostly outside, but our family gets back in routine.

I have learned that within the boring monotony of routine I personally thrive.  Not only do I thrive but my entrie family thrives.  Spontaneous is fun and I believe we all should have some spontaneity in our lives...but routine is king when it comes to becoming better and growing!

I encourage you as the beginning of school starts build in some healthy routines to your schedule.  Don't let other things take their place...

If you want spiritual health then spend time praying, meditating and reading the Bible.
If you want physical health then exercise and eat healthy.
If you want mental health then spend time focused on growing your intellect.
If you want family health then spend time enjoying your family.

If you want to experience sustained growth then the area you desire to grow in needs to be part of your daily routine.

When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. 1 Cor. 13:11

What areas do you need more routine?
Do you have a trusted friend who you can share these goals with and will check to make sure you are sticking with your routine?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more. Eva returning to school means that she has a set (and earlier) bedtime. I love getting back into a routine when she's in school because it allows us to carefully schedule out her bible and devotional reading time. Her reading the bible and devotionals also adds extra practice for reading for school which is always a good thing! Something that I regret is that we've sort of neglected this during the summer because of all of the activities and functions we were involved in. I'm excited to get back into a routine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not alone in the slackville summer area Andrew...one reason I love summer! ;) lol but I've had enough slacking...lets GROW!

    ReplyDelete