About Me

Words the world would uses to describe me are: Jesus Follower, Husband, Father, Friend, Doctor, Pastor, Teacher, and my personal favorite Crazy!
I believe that we live our lives according to our convictions, what does your life say about whats at your core?

Monday, March 12, 2012

T-Minus Five Days – Rock N’ Roll DC Marathon


It is FINALLY here, Marathon week!  It is hard to believe there is only five days until I will be running my fifth marathon.  After all, I remember when a 5k seemed unreachable, now the thought of running 26.2 miles actually makes me smile…ok, grimace is probably a better describing word.  I will be the first to admit it’s kind of a little crazy, and perhaps even on the insane side.  I have learned to embrace, learned to love, learned to endure the sport that for years was my punishment!  This realization feels really, really good to admit.

Training is in & of itself a great reward, but finishing the marathon is a feeling I could never get sick of & continuously fail to describe well with words…

Typically finishing a marathon is not a one-day accomplishment. It literally takes months and in some cases even years of sweat, pain, aches, and dedication that go into getting your body & mind in the condition to race 26.2 miles!  It takes a lot of COMMITMENT to run a marathon well for any individual, regardless of age, gender, experience, or speed.  We are all different, but the marathon continues to be something that requires a massive amount of sacrifice & faithfulness!

This was an intense training cycle.  If you’ve never run a marathon it may be hard to understand, but your mind plays major tricks on you!  The physical training is just one part of the whole marathon training process.  Mental sabotage is often the biggest stumbling block for the runner!  Your mind begins planning “Worst Case Scenarios” on you continuously.

Here are some of the random thoughts running through my head:

Why does the extended weather forecast continue to change each day?

Are my goals realistic?

Do I have the right outfit or layers picked out for the race?

Is my body, completely healed from all the freak injuries? (None of which I sustained through or because of running)

Did I do enough in preparation?

One way or another I will get these answers on Saturday, but either way I am simply amazed that I am actually looking forward to racing 26.2 miles one step at a time!

Until Saturday I am believing and focusing, renewing my mind with this verse from God’s Word:

Philippians 4:6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment