About Me

Words the world would uses to describe me are: Jesus Follower, Husband, Father, Friend, Doctor, Pastor, Teacher, and my personal favorite Crazy!
I believe that we live our lives according to our convictions, what does your life say about whats at your core?

Saturday, February 19, 2011

One Reason I Run…

As many of you may already know I am in the middle of a running streak. Today is day 786 of the current streak…

These past two years and two months I can think of many days where I did not feel like running, but I ran, and in the end I felt better because I had done so! Two instances really stick out in my mind:

First, this past summer when I was struck in the lower back by an 8 ft metal and wood table. I was in as much pain as I can remember being in anytime. Anyone who has injured their lower back knows what the pain is like…I’d say only tooth pain has rivaled this feeling for me. The pain caused me to really SLOW my pace daily, and for nearly two weeks I could barely walk, but during my daily morning runs my back would loosen up and I would feel so well. Everyday I limited myself to 3.1 miles and a 10 minute pace, btw the doctors encouraged me to do so, they also wanted me to get an MRI, but in the end I didn’t feel like I need it!

Second, in the late Spring of last year I started to feel very ill one day. It was the flu, and while I would never suggest that anyone else run or work out while experiencing flu like symptoms I did…3.1 miles at about a 9 minute pace. When I finished my body still felt slightly ill, however I felt much better then when I started, but as the evening progressed I felt stronger and stronger…almost like the run caused my body to super charge its defense system. If you didn’t know running is super beneficial for our immune system.

Now I must also tell you I believe in the power of PRAYER, and also believe God gave me the strength to endure both of these situations, even healed me…I also believe my daily running aided and stimulated in the recovery of both of these cases.

What does this mean to you?

I am not suggesting that you all become marathon runners, or even runners. You don’t have to become an Ironman Triathlete…but get active, one way or another!

Ask yourself this question…when you DID NOT feel like working out, but inside you WILLED yourself through the workout, how did you feel when it was over?

Interesting how when you spend energy running, biking, walking, lifting, gardening, hiking, or doing whatever else you enjoy, you end up with more energy then when you began!!! Have you found this to be true?

This is one of the many reasons I run…

What are some of the reasons you run?

No comments:

Post a Comment